Sunday, May 5, 2013

1st Grade: Primary and Secondary Colors

In 1st grade we talked about the difference between primary and secondary colors.  The kids said a lot of "oohs" and "ahhs" as I created secondary colors by mixing primary-colored chalks on the board.  I gave them a large and small oval stencil, with which they were to create 6 fish, 3 of each size.  They could decorate the fish however they liked.  For the day we were to paint, I gave each kid a paint pallet (which I don't normally do, for the sake of time and cleanup hassle) with the 3 primary colors.  They got quite excited watching before their eyes how primary colors created secondary colors.  Many of them called me over, and in an exuberant voice said, "Ms. K, look! I created a new color! See?!" 

The final day we outlined the fish in black oil pastel.  Using prepared blue watercolor, they painted the background of their pictures. Then, to create a watery texture, they placed a plastic bag over the top while still wet.  

I had to make a couple changes for the 2nd batch of 1st graders.  First, I had to cut down the sizes of the stencils.  Too many kids were having issues fitting all 6 fish onto their page. I also had to emphasize that each fish was to show a different primary and secondary color; I had to redirect a couple kids who started their second fish the second color.  My instructions were also to make the big fish primary colors and small fish secondary colors.  I wasn't too insistent on this rule, but I did try to encourage it.  However, with clean-up it is necessary to be insistent, especially with each student having a messy paint pallet to wash.




No comments:

Post a Comment