Monday, May 6, 2013

2nd Grade: Tissue Paper Flowers

The 2nd grade teacher and I consolidated lessons in celebration of Mother's Day.  She would have the kids use Mod Podge and tissue paper to decorate a glass vase.  I would teach the kids how to create tissue paper flowers to put in the vase. 

Here were the steps I taught: Stack 4 pieces of tissue paper.  Fold accordion style.  Fold in half.  Insert pipe cleaner. Tie. Staple. Fluff.  I instructed them to create no more than 3 flowers using red, salmon, and baby blue tissue paper.

A few common trip ups: Instead of folding accordion style, a few kids rolled and folded which made the "fluffing" process difficult.  A few kids stapled so that the staple ended up perpendicular, instead of parallel, to the pipe cleaner.  This again made the fluffing process a challenge.  For some reason some kids didn't understand how to fluff by separating the sheets of tissue paper until I showed them individually a second time.

I encouraged the kids to be creative by mixing the colors within the same color and using different colored pipe cleaners.




No comments:

Post a Comment